Thursday, January 08, 2009

2009
NEW BEGINNINGS
Looking forward, looking back,
As the year is moving on,
Thinking of those happy moments.
Wond'ring where the time has gone!
Breaking all those resolutions,
Must try harder through the year!
Moving forward, filled with courage....
New beginning time is here!
Iris Hesselden



The sun rises on a new day in a new year....


The mountains greet this new year standing as steadfast as they have done for a thousand years and more.......
.....and the tide ebbs and flows as it has done for just as many years. But, for 2009 it is a new beginning......

************************

I may have mentioned before that I'm an avid reader of Susan Hill's books and I'd been saving this little book - 'Lanterns Across the Snow' to read in the run up to Christmas, for it sets the scene perfectly! Just to give you a taster, I quote the introduction from the book......

"An enchanting account of a country childhood in Wessex a hundred years ago. Evoking the delights and surprises of Christmas and the mood of the countryside in the bleak mid-winter."

If you can manage to get hold of a copy I do urge you to read it, of course, the perfect time being just before Christmas.



*******************
I'm still catching up with our time spent with Betty & Edward in Georgia US last year.....
Here are a few pictures taken the day I joined 'The Red Hatters' for lunch held at Harper's Hotel.

I'd chosen a red hat from Betty's large collection, together with a purple blouse......

Here are all the ladies suitably dressed in red and purple, ready to enjoy the delicious lunch.....

You know.... some folk are lucky to be able to wear a hat with such elegance and style..... and Betty is one of them, don't you agree! and, red is such a good colour for her to wear too.

All assembled for a group picture in the hotel's court yard.

This was my lunch and it was absolutely delicious.... chicken salad served with a wonderful selection of fresh fruit..... just looking at this now makes me feel hungry.

Our handsome and attentive waiter..
















We even made the front page of the August edition of 'Senior News * South Georgia'. A really interesting article entitled 'The Red Hat Rambling Sisters' tells how the Red Hat Society was founded in 1997 by Sue Ellen Cooper. I had to smile when I read that I probably hold the record for traveling the farthest to attend a meeting. It was certainly worth it, for like everything else we experienced in Georgia it was a memorable experience.

13 comments:

kreativehaende said...

your photos and descriptions are always wonderful! I would be so glad if there was a red hat lady society in Germany, too. I like this very much and would join this group. Unfortunately here is none so I have made red hat lady quilt.
Best regards from Germany,
Waltraud

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Hello dear Marion, how absolutely wonderful you all look in your red hats. I think we wear hats much to seldom, I only wear hat in the sun and when I got my garden hat of course. It's a pity, but I never wear fancy hat like yours.
Your photos are so great, thank you for sharing/ LOLove Tyra

Willow said...

I've seen Red Hatters all over Los Angeles, once in Union Station (the train station). It sounds like a fun luncheon.

Pear tree cottage! said...

Hello Marion.... It is a very happy new year I wish you and I think you also look lovely in a hat, truly I do.

The photos are so lovely and the red and purple is so "out there" and special I think did you know purple was the colour used for the suffrage’s, those wonderful ladies all those years ago.... but like you are really.

See you again I am sure. Lee-ann

Val said...

Great waiter *grin*

Val said...

Oh.. and Susan Hill.. Ive seen her books all though my life as a librarian. But never read one.

My old library (Dorset Libraries) has a copy of this one, but its in the local studies reference library! Because of its local connections, it will be kept forever in the archive. But I shall have to sit in the library to read it!!!

Betty said...

Dear Marion,
I'm just now reading your post...the last few days I haven't felt up to getting out of bed....

Such a wonderful time that day. Everyone was so happy to finally meet you after the many, many times I had spoken of you....

I enjoyed the one book of Susan Hill's that I was able to locate...I hope I can find this one....

I love to read of your native land...well, I do have a forefather from Devon, England....

Blessings....Betty

Mountain Mama said...

Your new year post is just beautiful I really enjoyed it.
I have never read a Susan Hill book but from your description I'm sure I would enjoy it. I plan to look for it online tonight. Thanks for telling about it. I love history and learning about how people lived in past times.

I think you and Betty both look very nice in your red hats. I have never looked good in a hat but wish I did because I think they are beautiful.
Your lunch does look good and it made me hungry seeing it too!
I pray you have a wonderful 2009.

Michelle said...

I love the pictures! I keep thinking about joining the red hatters, but I'm not sure..maybe..!

Anonymous said...

Lovely post! And the photos from May bring back so many great memories! BTW, I LOVED the photo of you in your pinny and Mr. John in his bowtie!! It was delightful to talk to you at Christmas!
I've tagged you for a photo meme if you have time to play along. If not, that's fine too!
Love and miss you both,
Amy

Kerri said...

I always love to see your country scenes, dear Marion. What an exquisite landscape you live in! A walk along that beautiful beach would be the ant's pants..if a bit chilly...right now :)
You ladies look lovely in your red hats. I'm so enjoying hearing all about your fun times with Betty and Edward.
Wishing you and John the happiest of new years...good health and many blessing!

Barbara said...

Only in America! Saw this on Betty's blog.
Love the Welsh photos Marion.

Iris Hesselden makes me ask you do yu receive "Grace" magazine? Always many of her poems and writings in that.

Barbara said...

Just lost my comment so will try again.

Only in America. Saw this on Bettys blog.

Love your Welsh photos. Reading your poem of Iris Hesselden makes me wonder if you receive "Grace" magazine. Lots of her poems and writings in that.