Monday, July 16, 2012

A VILLAGE WALK  


Which way shall we go....


I'd like to take you on a walk we did a few weeks ago.  
We'll take the car first, although our destination is just a 10 minute drive from where we live.... to the coastal village where my son has a property. We frequently visit here to keep an eye on the place, keep the garden in order, do general maintenance jobs and we often spend weekends away there too... enjoying the change of scenery of both coast and countryside.
We'll start at the village pub, it's a popular meeting place for locals as well as holiday makers who frequent this beautiful area.  The food is good too. 


I'd really like this unusual bench for my garden!  The back is made from a cart wheel... but great for a rest to watch village life go by.



We'll head off up hill,  there are some pretty cottages I'd like to show you....


As we look over the wall to our right the river runs by, so crystal clear but icy cold as it makes its way down from the mountain and yet the water looks so inviting as it sparkles in the sunshine.  Wherever you go in this village, the sound of water is ever present. 



I love these pretty  pastel colours.  I guess in time gone by they were fishermen's cottages


They must like cats in this cottage.


We've left the river behind and reached the point where there are cottages on both sides of the lane now.





The lane gets steeper and opens up glorious views over the village below and out to sea.




Many of the old signposts are being replaced with these bright new wooden ones in our part of Wales.   Hmmm!  I think someone nearby has a party.





I just loved the line of washing secured to the telegraph pole in this tiny front garden 

An unusual little holiday home which is built of tin... quite cute inside too...

...its tiny garden is built into the hillside...

 ...and its higgledy-piggledy entrance is approached up this....

narrow little passage way.

Walking on, there are many steps that lead to unknown places...

...doorways and gates on either side.  I'm left wondering what lies behind them all. 
Some are set into stone walls...

...some are old and rustic...

...others more classic in style.





What an enviable place to live....

over looking farms...

 the village below.. and out to sea.



We've come through a couple of gates that cross the lane to keep the sheep from straying and are now we walk amongst them

What are these two lambs looking for?

...They eventually tire of whatever caught their attention and walk away, looking rather miffed!


 Lovely up here on a warm sunny day but so bleak, windy and cold in winter.



An anxious looking mother and her baby


Time to turn and make our way back down to the village


This is an ancient water mill now converted into an attractive dwelling

The old mill stone now makes an attractive garden feature

And the stream that powered the mill rushes on down through this pretty garden









We continued our walk on to the Quakers Cemetery, but I'll leave that for my next post.
It continues to rain in most parts of the UK most days... however, we are blessed with an occasional day of sunshine and then our attention has to turn to work in the garden.  Like most folk, I'm very behind with outdoor work, never before have I know such relentless rain... and if that hasn't been enough to set things back, last week I twisted my ankle as I went down steps in my garden, fell with my full weight down to the next step and in doing so I have broken a bone in my foot... the 5th metatarsal, which I understand it is a common footballers injury!  I am now encased in a plaster cast from toes to knee.  Hey Ho! it could be worse I guess.
As I'm now forced to rest my leg... it may well encourage me to catch up a little with blogging.
Blessings - Marion






12 comments:

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

What a delightful walk. I appreciate all the lovely views, interesting doors, quaint stone stairs, and all the rest. It is truly beautiful there.

Betsy said...

You know - it really could be worse, and thank God it isn't. I know it really does limit what you can do. I wish you a fast heal in that foot.
Thank you for the lovely pictures and I enjoy gazing at the buildings of stone. The little lambs are so sweet.
Wishing you a speedy recovery and look forward to your next post.
Betsy

Unknown said...

What a wonderful post! Thank you for sharing!!!

debbie bailey said...

I'm so glad I found your blog. I love Wales! Husband and I took a trip to Pembrokeshire about three years ago and fell in love. We travelled all over the country beginning at Tinturn Abbey and ending up in the north at a castle turned B&B. Had a lovely time. I look forward to reading about your adventures; although I guess you'll be an armchair traveller until your foot heals!

Betty said...

Precious Sister,
Oh, how I love all the pictures! One day!

There is a shop here in Chattanooga called 'Insyde-Outsyde'. The owners are from Wales...we've visited there before and had hoped to this visit so that I could ask what part of Wales was home to them.

Love you...Betty

Beth said...

Hi Marion, What a delightful village, and I surely enjoyed the virtual walk with you! Love those blue-lavender hydrangeas. You say you have relentless rain, for which I am sorry; we have relentless drought. Sure wish we could make a trade and even out the rainfall! I appreciate your recent comments on my blog and I hope your foot is healing. I know you want to be out and about and this makes it difficult.
Take care, Beth

Celestial Charms said...

Hi Marion,
Such a delight to have stumbled upon your blog today. Wales is a very special place, and I have always felt a strong connection there on my many previous visits. Such a beautiful, peaceful, and interesting place. Of course there is such rugged beauty in the North, and I enjoyed our walk with you today. Sorry about your foot, and I hope you have a quick recovery.
Maureen

Mountain Mama said...

Thanks again for sharing your beautiful part of the world with us. I totally enjoyed all your pictures. They made me feel like I was right there walking with you.

Shanae Branham said...

I enjoyed the walk. This village is adorable. Thank you for sharing.

Cheers,
Shanae
My Blog

The Custards said...

Phew - thank you so much for the trip out and about. To be honest I was in need of some fresh air to blow the cobwebs away! Lovely images and delicious close ups of beautiful buildings. It has been a very long time since I last visited Wales - it is time to visit again I think. Thank you also for your kind words on my old blog - I am all for a bit of creativity!
Best wishes
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Hi there Marion - what a delightful blog you have and how I enjoyed the little walk around such a beautiful place. I will certainly be back to join you on another stroll and have a longer browse around your blog!
I noticed the little photo of the Promenade in Cheltenham - it is a sight I haven't seen for a few years since we moved back up North to Yorkshire from living in Cheltenham and it brought back wonderful happy memories. Take care, Viv

Barbara said...

Love these homely and country photos Marion.