Wednesday, September 03, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY.........

Today is my dear friend Betty's birthday and I'm sure you'd like to join me in wishing her much happiness on this her special day.

'May the year ahead be enriched with good health and happiness dear friend'.









Together with Betty's birthday greetings, I thought I would include a few pictures recently taken in and around my garden......

First, may I ask....... If anyone can identify this plant I would be most grateful. All that its name tag stated was 'Primula' but I don't know which variety of the primula family it is. It has a cluster of lemon flowers on top of its long stem. If you click on the picture you'll see it in more detail.


I do love architectural plants and this phormium is a beauty, it helps take the starkness off the greenhouse too.

'Night Lights' is the fitting name of this beautiful rose. When the buds open the rose is yellow and then slowly, beautiful tinges of pink and peach develop.

This David Austin rose is named 'Golden Celebration'

The manger basket on our front garden wall has been quite delightful this summer.....

More pots and hanging baskets adorn the front steps up to the veranda.

......on the side of it too

The spiky leaves of the cordyline contrast nicely with the tree heather in the background......

One of the gravel and slate paths that wind through the garden. The hebe was in full flower when this picture was taken. I should cut it back, but I do like how it hangs over the path and softens the lines of the garden...... and I'm quite happy to duck as I pass by.......
A closer look at the hebe flowers in the sunshine. I certainly took this picture at a good time..... for sunny days have been very few and far between this summer......

Ferns are another architectural plant that I like. These are growing under a pergola and thrive in the shady light here.

I have developed a Fernery in another area that is deep in shade......


This rose is named 'Alec's Red'......

The 'Philandelphus' or sometimes called 'Mock Orange' flowers reward you with a delicious perfume in June or July, particularly on a warm summer evening.....

This rose 'Compassion' is one of my favourites its perfume is outstanding!

The veggie plot has its flowers too. The pretty light purple flowers of the chives give double value......

I'd like to take credit for growing this magnificent 'Dierama' or Angel's Fishing Rod but I can't. It grows in a garden next to the school where John works. Now the flowers have gone to seed I intend to ask if I may have a few. Its a beauty isn't it! Its worth clicking on this picture to see it in more detail........

Last but certainly not least..... We were so pleased to receive a box of grits that Betty sent a few weeks ago. One of the many southern dishes we were introduced to and enjoyed so much during our stay. Also included in our lovely parcel was a gift from Edward.... a book of studies in the 'Epistles of John'. Thank you both your gift are much appreciated and enjoyed.

13 comments:

Susie said...

Hi Marion,
Your garden is looking just beautiful. As this long, hot summer ends mine is looking somewhat tired!
I'm sure you were glad to get the gift package from Betty. I'll pop in to wish her a Happy Birthday!
xo

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

As always such beautiful flowers!! WOW!! What a garden you have!! I would love to just walk through it. I have always wanted a garden like that but guess that is not going to happen..good dream though.
I will get over to Betty's and wish her a happy birthday..thanks for letting us know. Sandy

Pat said...

Lovely blog and bio.
I must visit again.


Patsi

Sharon Goemaere said...

Your garden is fantastic.Love it!Blessings~Sharon G.

Betty said...

Dear Friend Marion,

Thank you for the thoughtful birthday greeting.....

The flowers are beautiful....each one so lush.....

Love to you and John....Betty

Mountain Mama said...

I would like to wish Betty a very happy birthday.
Your Primula is of the Primrose family I believe.
You certainly have some gorgeous roses. Do you fertilize them often?
I am fascinated with the Dierama. I think it's a magnificent plant. I will have to find out if they grow in my neck of the woods.
Thanks fpr all the fun pictures.

HappyMouffetard said...

The fernery looks lush - green is so relaxing. The roses are beautiful too.

Anonymous said...

What a profusion of flowers and plants Marion! I dream of having a garden filled with those beautiful David Austen roses...

Sending best wishes to Betty on her birthday.

Marie x

Barbara said...

So beautiful, all your flower pictures! Your primula could eventually be a primula alpicola or a sort of the primula auricula var. albocincta. I love the Dierama which I saw for the first time in the gardens of Sissinghurst. But there they were white. I didn't know that pink/lila sorts are existing too. I once brought one home from England but unfortunately I couldn't overwinter the plant...it was too cold, I guess!
Have a good time!
Barbara

Barbara said...

Your garden is looking beautiful Marion and so much colour for this time of year. And you had some sun!!

The Liberty Belle said...

Your garden is lovely. Best birthday wishes to Betty.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Hello Marion, I have been catching up on your recent posts. What a lovely tea you were treated to there!

And, that Angel's fishing rod is amazing...I've never seen a plant like it! Just beautiful, as are all your roses and other plants. Your garden is wonderful. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us!

Kerri said...

I'm very late with the birthday wishes, but I hope Betty had a wonderful and happy day.
Your roses always wow me, Marion. Your climate provides them with much more suitable growing conditions than ours here in NY, but I know you also tend them lovingly.
The manger basket certainly is delightful. It looks full and beautiful. How many fuchsia divisions are in it?
Your garden is such a wonderful mixture of shapes, sizes and textures. I'd dearly love to stroll through it with you :)