Monday, October 13, 2008

MEMORIES OF SUNNIER DAYS.....

Summer days have quietly slipped into Autumn now...... one feels the familiar nip in the air that foretells of the cold and bleak days soon to come when frosts will destroy the splendours of both garden and countryside.

.......Harvest home





Leaves on the Virginia Creeper have finally turned a bright crimson and fall fast....... a daily chore of sweeping the yard



This little box hedge is my pride and joy...... I grew it all from cuttings I'd gathered up when John was trimming the front hedge a few years ago.

Looking after Mummy's apple.......

John takes a welcome rest in the summer house...... is this the next project he's looking up?

Mist lingers in the mornings and the grass is continually wet.....

This sheltered bench is a favourite place to relax with a good book

The agapanthus have been a delight this year, sadly their beautiful blue flowers are over now, but the attractive seed heads are left and give an interesting shape in the winter garden.

The tree fern is quite hardy and it is only in a severe winter that it needs a jacket.......

The phormium grows well here in the garden, I enjoy it architectural shape and the way the spiky leaves move in the wind.

The fanned finger leaves of the Trachycarpus palm is another shape I enjoy.......


The autumnal show flares and fades and all too soon there will be..... 'no fruit, no flowers, no leaves, no birds.... November' (Thomas Hood)

..... but, the promise of the rainbow.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your patio area with the stone floor. It looks lovely with the vines overhead on the arbour, and the pots around the edges. it makes a cozy green retreat.

Betty said...

Dear Friend Marion,

What beautiful pictures of your surroundings....your tree fern amazes me...mine is so small...everything is so lush....

That's the first picture that I remember seeing of the interior of your summer house...John looks very relaxed....scratch George's ears for me....Love you....Betty

Barbara said...

Your Autumn garden looks lovely Marion, no wonder when you brush the leaves up every day!

Susie said...

What a delightful stroll through your beautiful gardens Marion!
We're almost into fall, but no real chill or frost as yet.
George looks so perfectly content sunning himself out there. I can't get over how much he and Vincent resemble each other.
xo

Pat said...

Everything is beautiful.
I see you like a full garden...I love it that way. The more the better !!

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Marion, you have the prettiest garden!! This is something that I have always always wanted but not going to have in this life. Maybe in Heaven God will give me a nice little cottage with flowers and plants to care for..that would be Heaven to me. Sandy

Mountain Mama said...

Thanks once again for sharing your beautiful garden and countryside with us. Oh how I wou;ld love to spend time in your part of the world. I love seeing the pictures but for me there is a 'feeling' about places too. Something I can only experience when I am standing in that place.
We are having the very same autumn weather here with the soggy dew and have had heavy frost a few mornings too.
Old man winter will soon be here. Time to bring out my winter coat and boots.

Willow said...

Even in autumn your garden is beautiful, Marion.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

What a delight to walk around your atumn garden with you. What a gorgeous apple protector you have. ;-) I'm rather envious of your tree fern, it's wonderful. Strangely enough my agapanthus is in flower for the second time this year.

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I love your garden ~ such a tranquil space.

Marie x

Barbara said...

The wonderful last picture of the rainbow symbolizes what is hidden in autumn...the promise that nature will be as beautiful in the coming year as it was this year. And your garden will look so lush and colourful again next summer. So let's enjoy the last flowers and take them as a lovely memory into the grey, cold and foggy days.
Have a nice week!
Barbara

Sharon Goemaere said...

I LOVE your garden!What a lovely,peaceful retreat!Blessings~Sharon G.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

I enjoyed looking at your beautiful garden again...I remember it from last year. Your box hedge is so perfectly clipped! I had no idea box would grow from clippings (just proves what a dismal gardener I would be!)

Tea said...

Hi Marion :)

Your gardens are a dream....so beautiful. And that`s really amazing how you`ve grown such a lovely hedge from cuttings!

tea
xo

Kerri said...

Your wistful thoughts of the fading beauty are very similar to mine, Marion. I'm not looking forward to the cold, drab months.
The Virginia creeper makes a wonderful canopy, creating a very cozy area on your patio.
The phormium is magnificent, as are the tree fern and palm. I'm always amazed at the selection of plants you can successfully grow.
The agapanthus is wonderful too.
It's a treat to see John and George relaxing too. What a beautiful spot your summer house is, and lucky you to have such a handsome apple protector :)
Yes, the rainbow is a delightful promise that spring will come again!

Barbara said...

Missing you blogging Marion.

Southern Lady's Vintage said...

Your garden is so beautiful and peaceful! Gorgeous photos! Thank you for sharing your wonderful garden!

Eva said...

Hi Marion - I made it - at last!
What a great page< or should I say blog. Lovely pics too! The rainbow is beautiful!
I notice a share button - do u mind my sharing it on facebook or with friends into gardening etc? I thought I should ask you first.
Have you seen the 'St Cadfan's Group' page on facebook? Olwen and Dewi's daughter Dawn have joined it. Do take a look (are u on facebook?)
Hope to return here when I have more time. Well done Marion! Love Eva x